Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good and bad....

This week has been interesting. I am yet to work out, so obviously that is the bad. But the reason for my lack of working out I see as a good. I've been sleeping very well this week. I've only gotten up once in the middle of the night, which was last night and only because I forgot to set the timer on my heater and it got too hot in my room. My alarm goes off at 0530 and 0600 and I usually sleep through them, finally getting out of bed around 0730. Which puts me into work at about 0900 and I leave the office around 1800. This is too late for me to work out as it gets me too amped and I have difficulty falling asleep. I'm hoping that with today off I can kind of reset some of that. I'm going to get in a workout later this afternoon.

Now I'm going to talk about something a bit different. If you know me in the real world (as opposed to the internet world) you know that I'm kind of a survival buff. Ever since the great ice storm of 07 I've been working to be prepared for another disaster whether it be natural or man made. But I came across something that I've been neglecting, and that is physical fitness as a survival tool. Obviously I feel that some of my knowledge would help me a bit, but knowledge only gets you so far. You've got to be able to endure things as well. And my endurance is severely lacking. WIth this thought, I think that I've found my new motivation for working out. Crossfit preaches a lot about GPP--General Physical Preparedness. And I think my GPP is rather low. It's about time to change that, I think. I'm going to try to throw in a few different wrinkles in my training this year. Maybe take a couple of saturdays and go down to the Wichita Mountains and throw in a mountain hike/climb with a pack and weighted vest. Also planning a camping trip up at some family land were I will have to pack in/pack out...no facilities or resources. Will probably have to pack 100 pounds of gear a mile in and out.

Now with all of that said, I don't think that the world is going to end in 2012. But I'm not counting out crazy people misinterpreting natural occurrences and just generally going crazy. Time will tell. The goal is to be prepared for anything. If a tornado hit, would I be able to lift a heavy object off myself or family member? Right now, probably not. If the SHTF, would I be able to cover the 5 miles from my office back to my house on foot in a short amount of time (less than 3 hours)? Definitely not.

Preparation for the unknown and unknowable starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment